HUMILITY ATTRACTS HEAVEN - and some other thoughts about 'Revival'.

Last night as our church gathered, I knew that the Lord was leading us somewhere - leading us to a time of encounter, a time of freedom. And one of the things that was clearly on God's heart for us, was to confess fear and get more freedom from the way fear had been hindering our lives.

We had had some powerful renewal meetings the week before. My wife and I had been speaking about the Azusa Street (Pentecostal) Revival and the Jesus People Movement during the past week to a group of students. Reports from Kentucky kept pouring in and news about the way the Asbury Revival 2023 was/is spreading to other colleges/universities and churches. 

An atmosphere of expectancy is growing in our community. How could it not be?!  Why would we not be expectant that the God who is "the same yesterday, today and forever" (Heb 13:8) wouldn't be doing something similar in our midst? 

Living now in California there is a growing desperation in the Christian community that if ever there was a time for God to visit us in a special way, this would be that time! Similar to the way God poured out His Spirit in the late 1960s/early 1970s to touch a disillusioned generation that was 'looking for love in ALL THE WRONG PLACES!' 

What were the "ingredients" that were present last night? We were continuing in a series on revisiting the ministry of healing. We were considering one of the biggest barriers - FEAR. We had visitors - God loves to move when 1st-time guests are present. There were hungry and even some desperate people - desperate for breakthrough! 

I shared about an encounter I had had with the Holy Spirit nearly 20 years ago when God confronted me about a paralyzing fear that I didn't realize I had as I had begun to pursue a life of supernatural ministry - specifically the ministry of praying for the healing of the sick. 

After that, it became clear to me that a 20-year-old "testimony" wasn't what God was interested in highlighting. But rather, during my message I became more and more convicted that I had failed earlier that day to pray for a severely disabled young woman. She was standing right in front of me at a track meet I was attending with my daughter and her fiancee. I knew I was preaching/teaching that night about healing and I didn't take a step of faith to even offer to pray for the woman. 

What would Jesus have done? Of course, we all know. (Hint: it wouldn't have been nothing!)

What did I do? Not what Jesus would have done. Rather, I succumbed to my unbelief (having not seen that many people who were as crippled as this young woman healed). It wasn't fear - that wasn't the issue yesterday. It was mostly unbelief. I say mostly because it was probably also a clear lack of love - Jesus "was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick." Matt 14:14. Why wasn't I being "moved by compassion" at that moment? I was too busy trying to watch the next race! 

I was keenly aware that confession of sin has been catalytic at Asbury (as it has always been throughout revival history!) and God simply wasn't interested in my sharing a 20-year-old 'sin issue' but something 'fresh' from that very day. 

And as we gave room last night, many began to confess their sin - it started with sin related to fear and then began to open up into other areas as a spirit of repentance was filling the room. The 'ingredients' of confession of sin and repentance in an atmosphere of worship were all present last night. There were so many who humbled themselves last night - and we know that humility attracts heaven as "God opposes the proud, but GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE" - James 4:6/1 Pet 5:5.

I don't know exactly where things are going but God is moving in our midst. He is doing a beautiful thing in our lives. His Lordship and His holiness are becoming more central even as we are contending for Him to release more of His power. 

We are excited to see what God will be doing this week as a whole crew of us repented of fear last night (and other things) and committed ourselves to walk in the new freedom that the Holy Spirit brought us last night. 

God gave us grace last night. There were some powerful encounters that were had. "Perfect loves casts out/drives out/expels fear" as the Scripture says (1 John 4:18). And as our God of Love encountered some of His children last night, fear was being driven out! It was glorious. It was intimate. It was real.  

And we move forward expectant - even as many of the women in our community will be gathering next weekend for a women's conference here locally with the theme of "Holy Fire" - a conference that will begin with my wife speaking who had massive encounters with the Holy Spirit both last night and last week. A conference where the founder/organizer of the conference is even now in Asbury, Kentucky certainly praying that she will be carrying the fire of revival with her to a group of hungry and desperate women!

Who knows what God will do? We pray..."Come, Holy Spirit"!

Comments