The Power of the Lord was present to heal (Luke 5:17) - an insight into Words of Knowledge

"...the power of the Lord was present to heal" (Luke 5:17)

This verse is interesting. What exactly does it mean? How was Jesus aware that "the power of the Lord" was present in a unique way? Jesus was fully God and fully man at all times. So there couldn't have been a time in the life of Jesus when the power of the Lord was not present as wherever the Lord Jesus was, so was His full deity. 

This verse must therefore be something for us. Jesus lived a life for us that He intended us to model. Jesus was a man upon whom the Holy Spirit came at His Baptism. He lived a life as one being "led by the Spirit" at all times. He was a man upon whom the Holy Spirit was given "without measure".

As I read this verse this morning, I was thinking, "How do I know when "the power of the Lord is present to heal"? Yes, there are times when I can feel something like electricity in my hands especially when we have had healing services in the past. This is not a regular occurrence. Others I have worked with have felt something like that as well. 

I had this thought this morning - I know God's power is present to heal when His revelation comes by way of a word of knowledge for someone. God's revelation is the most common way I am made aware of His power to do something in a given situation.

I might feel/sense the actual word of knowledge. 

Did Jesus in Luke 5:17 get a word of knowledge? Luke doesn't tell us how Jesus was made aware of the power of God that would ultimately in that situation bring healing to the paralytic. 

There is more going on in the passage as radical, risky faith was present in the friends of the paralytic ("He saw THEIR faith" - Luke 5:20). 

This of course is the mystery of charismatic Christian life - unlike non-Charismatics, we believe that many of the things Jesus did (actually most) are things He intends for us to be doing today. Therefore we read the Gospels differently. We are constantly asking, how can I be doing what Jesus did? How can I be made aware of God's power being present to heal? When is faith present? Faith in us? Faith in others? (like the paralytic's friends). 

I feel like this morning as I was reading Luke, God helped me connect the dots as to how this has worked in my life. I pray for even more words of knowledge! And if there are other ways God wants to make me aware of His unique presence for healing, then I want to know them. I want to grow in them. 

For such a time as this. 

Comments