Unrighteous Judgment
After John 3:16, one could argue that the most widely known Bible verse might be Matthew 7:1 - judge not lest you be judged. This verse is especially well-known amongst those who are unbelievers and don't know what the Bible teaches.
Clearly, what is known as 'unrighteous judgment' is condemned all throughout the Scriptures.
But on the other side, there are commandment to/for believers to judge. Yes, for those who don't know the Bible, you heard me rightly. Christians are actually commanded to judge.
For example, Jesus Himself, who famously said "judge not", commands His followers: "Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.” (John 7:24)
The Apostle Paul writes to the believers in Corinth that "the spiritual person judges all things" (1 Cor. 2:12).
And probably the most instructive teaching is when Paul tells the Corinthian Christians that we are NOT to judge those outside the Church, but we are to judge those within it: "Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? (1 Cor. 5:12).
Paul rebukes the Corinthian Church for NOT JUDGING an unrepentant professing believer in their midst who was living in sexual immorality.
Recently, I met with an unmarried Christian couple living in sexual immorality. I called them to repentance and gave them Biblical instruction, which in their case was to get married as soon as possible. I was attempting to obey Paul's instructions.
They ended up being deeply offended by what I had said. I would imagine they were thinking more about Matthew 7:1 than the other passages.
I believe I had gone about confronting them in a good way. Even when we are judging an action, we can do so in the wrong way, the wrong spirit. My sense is that the meeting had gone well. I only found out later about them being offended. Thankfully, they had done what I advised them to do and gotten married.
So, unrighteous judgment is condemned. But righteous judgment is commanded and expected.
A great short article on the topic I just came across is entitled, "Judging Others in Light of Christ's Command to "Judge Not"" - LINK
Comments
Post a Comment